Let your neighbors slide on paying their home owners association fees, and other owners have to pick up the slack. If it gets too bad, home values and sales will fall.
Community upkeep suffers when HOA dues aren’t paid
Just a few people who stop paying their HOA fees cut into an association’s budget fast. Annual median home owners association fees are $420 for single-family homes and $2,400 for condos, the U.S. Census Bureau says.
HOA and condominium delinquency rates have more than doubled since 2005. Today, 65% of associations have dues delinquency rates exceeding 5%, up from just 19% of associations in 2005. More than 30% have delinquency rates exceeding 10%, and for one in 10—or close to 30,000 associations—the rate is more than 20%, CAI data shows.
Those fees pay for pools, clubhouses, tennis courts, landscaping, community insurance, and utilities.
The better your community looks, the more buyers will consider it. That helps preserve home values.
Lenders avoid communities with high HOA fee delinquencies
If too many of your fellow home owners association members stop paying fees, the government-sponsored enterprises (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA) that guarantee most U.S. mortgages won’t make new loans to anyone who wants to buy a house in your association, although they will continue to allow refinances.
Why? Because home owners association delinquencies indicate home owners are in financial trouble. And, the thinking goes, if they’re in trouble with HOA fees, then mortgage problems aren’t far behind. That affects your home owners association’s finances, meaning things like maintenance may not get done, which in turn detracts from the community’s appearance–and perceived unit values.
Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and FHA won’t guarantee loans in condominiums where more than 15% of the home owners are 30 days or more overdue on home owners association fees.
The GSEs may make exceptions, but that’s something your mortgage broker or loan officer has to handle, because the agencies don’t take exception requests from home owners.
So, tell your neighbors to pay up. These are tough times, but let’s not make them any tougher.
By: Terry Sheridan
Published: November 29, 2010
Barnstable Listing AlertsBarnstable, MA - $114,900 - Condo - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:11 hour agoBarnstable, MA - $625,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:3/12 hours agoBarnstable, MA - $249,000 - Single-Family - Ranch, Expandable - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:12 hours agoBarnstable, MA - $625,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:3/12 hours ago
Yarmouth ListingsYarmouth, MA - $889,900 - Single-Family - Cape, Contemporary - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:37 hours agoYarmouth, MA - $889,900 - Single-Family - Cape, Contemporary - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:3/17 hours agoYarmouth, MA - $289,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:17 hours agoYarmouth, MA - $679,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:39 hours ago
Mashpee ListingsMashpee, MA - $270,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:4 - Baths:21 hour agoMashpee, MA - $209,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:4 - Baths:23 hours agoMashpee, MA - $629,000 - Condo - Detached - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:15 hours agoMashpee, MA - $249,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:16 hours ago
“Like” us on Facebook
- Harbor Area Home!
- Another property Sale Pending!
- More Properties Sold in Barnstable, MA
- Open house on 3/9/2014 at 40 Settlers Ln
- Open house on 3/8/2014 at 98 Cypress Point, Cummaquid
- Open house on 3/8/2014 at 2 Atwood Stroll in Sandwich
- Tips for Buying Your Dream Home
- JUST listed for $219,000 in Dennis
- DEAL! Reduced to $239,900!
- How Do Mortgages Work?
- Open house on 3/1 & 3/2 at the BRAND new home @ 40 Settlers Lane
- Open house on 3/1/2014 at 98 Cypress Point, Cummaquid
- Open house on 3/1/2014 at 500 Ocean St – The Yachtsman
- How to Make Your Own Wood Floor Polish
- Introducing the “Dover” – New home!
- Land in P-Town
- 5 Musts When Childproofing Your Home
- Cummaquid Heights NEW listing on 2.5 Acres!
- JUST LISTED – near Golf $249,900
- How to Set an Asking Price for Your Home
- Death cafe takes up taboo subject March 10, 2014Death is the great equalizer to life: It's the one constant everyone faces no matter their background, their fortune or their race. […]
- Connector application March 8, 2014New applications for subsidized health insurance coverage are flooding into the Massachusetts Health Connector at a rate of nearly 2,000 a day as officials rush to clear the backlog of paper and electronic applications before the end of open enrollment on March 31. Sarah Iselin, special assistant to Gov. Deval Patrick in charge of overseeing the ... (more) […]
- Committee moves on private roads bill March 7, 2014The town council road subcommittee has asked the town attorney's office to draft special legislation covering private road repair and seek town council approval on April 3. The proposal is in response to a home rule bill drafted by State Rep. Cleon Turner that would apply only to Barnstable and could be expedited faster than regular legislation. […]
- This Just In...3-7-14 March 7, 2014That was Valerie Guertin's brother Bob, not Felicia Penn 's brother , who used to recover quarters people threw from the bulkhead back in the day. […]
- Death cafe takes up taboo subject March 10, 2014