Let your neighbors slide on paying their home owners association fees, and other owners have to pick up the slack. If it gets too bad, home values and sales will fall.
Community upkeep suffers when HOA dues aren’t paid
Just a few people who stop paying their HOA fees cut into an association’s budget fast. Annual median home owners association fees are $420 for single-family homes and $2,400 for condos, the U.S. Census Bureau says.
HOA and condominium delinquency rates have more than doubled since 2005. Today, 65% of associations have dues delinquency rates exceeding 5%, up from just 19% of associations in 2005. More than 30% have delinquency rates exceeding 10%, and for one in 10—or close to 30,000 associations—the rate is more than 20%, CAI data shows.
Those fees pay for pools, clubhouses, tennis courts, landscaping, community insurance, and utilities.
The better your community looks, the more buyers will consider it. That helps preserve home values.
Lenders avoid communities with high HOA fee delinquencies
If too many of your fellow home owners association members stop paying fees, the government-sponsored enterprises (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA) that guarantee most U.S. mortgages won’t make new loans to anyone who wants to buy a house in your association, although they will continue to allow refinances.
Why? Because home owners association delinquencies indicate home owners are in financial trouble. And, the thinking goes, if they’re in trouble with HOA fees, then mortgage problems aren’t far behind. That affects your home owners association’s finances, meaning things like maintenance may not get done, which in turn detracts from the community’s appearance–and perceived unit values.
Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and FHA won’t guarantee loans in condominiums where more than 15% of the home owners are 30 days or more overdue on home owners association fees.
The GSEs may make exceptions, but that’s something your mortgage broker or loan officer has to handle, because the agencies don’t take exception requests from home owners.
So, tell your neighbors to pay up. These are tough times, but let’s not make them any tougher.
By: Terry Sheridan
Published: November 29, 2010
Barnstable Listing AlertsBarnstable, MA - $995,000
80 Long Pond Cir - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:37 minutes agoBarnstable, MA - $1,495,000
151 Wianno Ave - Single-Family - Ranch, Contemporary - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/17 minutes agoBarnstable, MA - $389,000
132 Nickerson Rd - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:21 hour agoBarnstable, MA - $1,599,000
353 Green Dunes Dr - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:3 - Baths:3/13 hours agoBarnstable, MA - $225,000
504 Flint St - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:111 hours ago
Yarmouth ListingsYarmouth, MA - $339,900
47 Hatch Rd - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:21 hour agoYarmouth, MA - $943,000
10 Pleasant St - Single-Family - Cape, Antique, Multi-Level - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/111 hours agoYarmouth, MA - $250,000
9 Lavender Ln - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:5 - Beds:4 - Baths:211 hours agoYarmouth, MA - $290,000
294 Long Pond Dr - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:114 hours agoYarmouth, MA - $179,900
37 Swan Lake Rd - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:2
Mashpee ListingsMashpee, MA - $205,000
60 Ashumet Ave - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:17 minutes agoMashpee, MA - $529,000
191 Monomoscoy - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:232 minutes agoMashpee, MA - $297,500
18 Riverhill Rd - Single-Family - Cape, Expandable - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:21 hour agoMashpee, MA - $259,000
22 Mid-iron Way - Condo - - Rooms:3 - Beds:2 - Baths:22 hours agoMashpee, MA - $339,900
18 Portside Dr - Condo - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:211 hours ago
“Like” us on Facebook
- What a deal – One Owner sparkling Ranch
- Pristine Centerville Ranch – Just reduced $319,900!
- Just reduced – Walk to Golf – $229,000!
- JUST LISTED in Yarmouth – Cape Escape!
- Just reduced in Dennis – $205,000!
- Wequaquet Lake Area!
- SOLD – In Yarmouth
- Breathe Life Into Your Basement
- Gas Fireplace Inserts: Pros and Cons
- Waterfront on ‘Follin’s Pond’
- Open house on 4/6/2014 at 40 Settlers Ln
- Just Reduced – Open house on 4/6/2014 at 98 Cypress Point, Cummaquid
- Open house on 4/5/2014 at 40 Settlers Lane – NEW HOMES!
- Open house on 4/5/2014 at 55 Elliott Rd, Centerville
- Open house on 4/5/2014 at 31 Cranberry Lane, Centerville
- Open house on 4/5/2014 at 33 Mizzentop Ln, Centerville
- PRISTINE Centerville One Level
- Mold Remediation: What to Expect When You Hire An Expert
- Redduced in Cummaquid Heights
- Just listed! Southside Centerville Charmer!
- Rick Abbot's Play on! Set for BCC, 5/22-6/8 April 14, 2014Play On!, a comedy by Rick Abbot, will be presented by the Barnstable Comedy Club , 3171 Rte. […]
- Permit fire consumes sailboat, kayak April 14, 2014A permit fire near 32 Acre Hill Road got out of hand Sunday afternoon and scorched nearly an acre, Barnstable fire Capt. […]
- Things to do today on Cape Cod April 12, 2014The Martha's Vineyard Film Society will present "Love Free or Die: The Story of the First Openly Gay Bishop" at 4 p.m. at the Martha's Vineyard Film Center, 79 Beach Road, Vineyard Haven. […]
- Armed officer sparks school lockdown April 12, 2014As she does most afternoons, Denise Wiegand waited at the front doors of Trinity Christian Academy of Cape Cod on Thursday, ready to greet parents arriving to pick up their children. […]
- Rick Abbot's Play on! Set for BCC, 5/22-6/8 April 14, 2014